Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Life and Death..

Its crazy how something so tragic as the death/loss of a friend can remind you of how sweet life is.
I found out this week that a very good friend of mine passed away over the Christmas break, yes, JUST found out. Apparently I wasn't on the notification list or something. Actually he was Canadian and I just didn't get the memo. Im finding out that a lot of his friends didn't know he had passed.
His name was Ashley Warren Haslett, 36 years old and one of the most upbeat, amazingly happy people I know. The details of his passing are currently a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. In reaching out to his parents to verify that the obituary was really my friend, I got a one line answer, 'yes your friend was our son.'
I don't know what to make of their response. I know they must be grieving extensively, I just wish they could have shared a bit more.. Did he suffer? Was he ill? Was it expected? Sudden? My mind continues to ponder over what must have happened.
In that however, I have been given insight as to how precious life is. We can be here one day and gone the next. Live life to its fullest right? We hear this all the time but how many of us actually take it to heart and try to find the beauty in each and every day?
The beauty of today was that I got to have dinner with a friend I hired on with at Delta almost 10 years ago. She was in town for some training and we got together and went to my favorite burger place in town. Catching up and just talking about friends we both new while the sun was setting over the city totally made my day! Thanks Nahe!!!

On a more bizarre note. My roommate went out of town for work and I was supposed to be out of town Tues and Wed. So his mom came into town to watch the dog. roomie Of course what happens? My trip gets the ax and I am stuck with his mother all week!
Now if it was my own mother that would be a joy and I wouldn't be complaining.. But this is someone I don't know very well and now she is my for the week.. can you say AWKWARD.......

Love y'all

8 comments:

Ali said...

I'm sorry to learn about your friend's passing. I hope you're able to find that peace and closure you're looking for amidst the strange circumstances. Love you.

BnK said...

I am taking this death and dying class so I should have something really profound to say to you. But I don't. I am, however, sorry you are sad. I can't imagine what it is like to lose a good friend to death. At least we know about the plan of salvation, right. Love you so much. See you soon?

Liz Green said...

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. I agree that events like that really make us think and appreciate life more.
So, are you in Germany so you can avoid your roommates mother?

Liz Green said...

I would love to spend a week with you. A woman named Kreda (the lady with all the kids)who works in SLC said to tell you hello. She said, "I just love him, and I miss him." I seem to get that alot, and it never surprises me, because I love you and miss you more...

Liz Green said...

Ok that last post is from your mother, who was looking at your blog from Liz's computer. Love your stinkin guts.

Kym Frankowski said...

Oh I'm sorry Mikie! That's horrible and I hope you get some closure. Life is precious and it sucks that stuff like this makes us remember that! Love you tons!

Robert said...

He was a friend of ours, too, and we just found out on Saturday (May 21). I was tremendously saddened, especially to find out so far after the fact - I would have helped in whatever manner I could if I had known. However, even those that we know that were in our mutual circle and were considered his most intimate friend(s) ... they too are unaware of the circumstances of his death.

Donna said...

Hello Mike. I knew Ashley. We were related, actually. (My mom & his dad were cousins). I kept in touch with him & his parents over the years and knew him to be a loving, thoughtful and generous soul. The story of his passing is truly tragic and in truth, I don't know a lot of details. A few but not a lot. There are many questions left unanswered. Perhaps I can fill In some blanks and you can fill in others for me. His dad and mom are both gone now too. Sometimes grief and loss is just too hard to bear, especially the loss of a child. I hope to hear from you or anyone else who knew him. We miss him dearly. ~ Donna