Wednesday, June 27, 2007

PS I do not speak German...

We landed in Munich and did the customs thingy. Not too bad accept the little pen you have to stand in before clearing passport control. I have purchased a little phrase book while in NYC and had written down how to ask for the taxi price to Landshut. Apparently it was costly cause he told me 56 euros. NO WAY! So we set out for the bus.
We hit the ATM in the airport and then got a little change from the bank so we could pay the bus. It was 2.20 Euros to take the bus to Freising (which sounds like Frys-Sing not Freezing) and then only like 6.20 Euros to take. Now I say only but the truth of the matter is I had such a hard time buying the tickets.
First thing is we did meet a nice german guy on the bus fromt he airport to the train station. He was living in Austin doing his grad work. He had just come home cause his brother was getting married. He was taking the train too. Apparatly here you can buy tickets and they work for a group of you at a time. (the German systems are either weird or really smart) So we chatted and became friendly. He even used my pen. So we get off the bus and there is the Platform for the trains. We look around and I dont see the place to buy tickets. I kind of expected to see a blantanly obvious looking, big neon signed (ok not really) but something that said, 'Welcome to the Freising Train Depot, come on over and buy your tickets here!'
I didnt see that.
I didnt even see what looked like a trainstation. I felt abandoned in the middle of nowhere with out a ticket to go anywhere. Ok I am being a little over dramatic if I say it like that but its where my heart was going because now Liz and I were really in Germany and I had to get us to Landshut.
So we walked down the steps to enter the tunnel to access the platforms. It connected to the other side of the station. 'That must be where the station is!' I thought and walked with purpose to the other side. Nothing! Just more parking. At this point I called Johanna Auras, Ali and Andrews neighbors to ask what I should do. She told me there should be an automated machine somewhere to purchase my tickets from. Well I wasnt seeing anything like that. So I thought it best to go up on the platform. Maybe it was right there when you get on the train.
Low and behold there was in fact a train station. You just couldnt see it directly from where the bus dropped you off.. It was hidden. But I sure saw it when i went up on the platform and I knew we were saved.
I went and found the automated machine. There were 2. I picked the one that was touchscreen and spoke english (Duh.. no germanzi-spreckened here!) So Im purposely putting in all the information and it tells me the cost. Im all ready with my money but then I notice this machine doesnt take money! NO!!! Ah!. All it seems to do is pick out your schedule for you. So of coarse i hit print. I hadnt wasted my time for nothing.
Now remember I said there were 2 machines. Now also remember I had chosen the one that spoke english. So I'm looking at this machine trying to figure it out. I'm watching other people use it successfully and walk away with a ticket to board. I think I've picked it up and I punch the buttons, 1356, which the little list tells me is Landshut. It tells me the price of the ticket and I think I'm almost there. But NO!!! the bloody machine wont take my bills. I know they are good I'd just pulled them out of an ATM. So I then had to then go inside and buy a ticket, from a person.. Duh why didnt I do that to begin with? I tried to speak German but the lady spoke English back to me and so I just acquiesced. At least I tried to speak german. (zwie zur Landshut) Thats what I said, she just said,'English?" Im such a nerd.
A 20 minute train ride and we were picked up by Ali, Eliza and Johanna the neighbor lady.
I'm currently sitting in the front room listening to the rain and telling Ali about my love life.
Catch up with you tomorrow. I'm needing a nap something fierce.

No comments: